What’s next in immigration reform? War with Mexico? That’s what Fernando García, executive director of the Border Network for Human Rights, in McAllen, Tex., was trying to figure out. “The most obscene element of the plan is that it would create a militarized border between allied nations where there is no military conflict,” said García, referring to the Corker-Hoeven amendment to S.744, the Senate bipartisan immigration reform bill that passed Thursday. “This is too high a price to pay in pursuit of a compromise not only for border communities, but for the entire country.” García’s words are typical of the kind of negative reaction provoked among many border area residents by the Corker-Hoeven amendment, added to the bill on Wednesday. It calls for 20,000 more border patrol agents, increased drone surveillance and completion of 700 miles of border fencing at a cost to taxpayers of about $46 billion over 10 years, before immigrants could start to become legalized. These measures come at a time when unauthorized border crossings are at a 40-year low and spending on enforcement at the border and the interior hit $18 billion last year — more than all other federal law enforcement agencies combined, including the… Read full this story
- 7-year-old Immigrant Girl Dies After Border Patrol Arrest
- Deaths prompt new medical checks on children in US Border Patrol custody
- Girl (7) dies of dehydration in custody of US Border Patrol
- Migrant girl, 7, 'dies of dehydration while in Border Patrol custody' in US
- 7-year-old Guatemalan immigrant girl dies in custody of US Border Patrol
- Why one area along the US-Mexico border saw drownings triple and water rescues skyrocket more than 1000%
- White House: Congress Must Do More to Address Southern Border Crisis
- New caravan of Honduran migrants makes first border crossing
- UPDATE 4-Judge blocks Trump immigration rule, calls it 'repugnant to American Dream'
- As clock ticks, new hurdle emerges in US border security talks
Albor Ruiz: Immigration rights advocates call new border patrol amendment 'disturbing' have 310 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at June 30, 2013. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.