LISBON, Portugal —
Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo will miss Friday’s friendly against Mexico as he tries to recover from leg injuries in time for the team’s World Cup opener against Germany on June 16.
The Portuguese football federation says on its website that the Real Madrid star and injured Portugal teammates Pepe and Raul Meireles are all ”unfit” and would miss the warm-up against Mexico at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.
Ronaldo is recovering from tendinitis and a muscle injury, both in his left leg.
Portugal will play Ireland in a friendly next Tuesday at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium before heading to the tournament in Brazil.
At the World Cup, Portugal also plays the United States and Ghana in Group G.
- Michael Bradley scored a gorgeous long-distance goal against Mexico in huge World Cup qualifier
- 10 World Cup greats
- Fashion experts weigh in on World Cup shirt style
- Brazil under pressure after collapse at World Cup venue that killed 2
- World Cup scalping scandal continues in Brazil
- Splits in FIFA anti-racism strategy at World Cup
- Russia, South Korea ready to go at World Cup
- UEFA wants latest possible World Cup final date in Qatar
- Pope to Rio youth: Jesus better than World Cup
- Brazil holds final stadium tests for World Cup