Xavi Hernandez was given a tribute worthy of a legend when the Barcelona midfielder walked off the field at Camp Nou for the final time on Saturday. Xavi, in his 17th season with the club, was in tears after being substituted in the second half of Barca’s 2-2 draw with Deportivo La Coruna. There is no disputing his legacy and importance to Spanish soccer. That’s why Xavi’s future plans are disappointing. After talks of a potential deal with Major League Soccer never materialized, Xavi is following the money to Qatar and will join Al Saad. Qatar, the controversial host of the 2022 World Cup, has come under fire for not doing enough to improve working conditions for migrant workers. It was recently revealed that Nepalese workers there have been refused the right to fly home for funerals after the recent earthquakes. Xavi has the right to earn as much money as he wishes. FIFA picked Qatar to host the World Cup for that same reason. With his new platform and star power, Xavi can make a difference on and off the field. That would truly be legendary. ** The Premier League’s most disappointing club, Newcastle United, avoided relegation with a… Read full this story
- World Cup hosts Qatar will compete in Gold Cup
- Save the Children accepts £15m 'tainted cash' donation from Qatar – despite charity bosses admitting the deal is ‘high risk’ and calling the Gulf state’s claim to have axed slave labour a 'stunt'
- Lionel Messi and Barcelona: The fans' view
- Netherlands star Frenkie de Jong set to shine against France and Germany?
- Messi on the market but only Europe's richest and most ambitious need apply
- Ten Moto2 and Moto3 riders to watch in 2019
- FIFA 21 announce huge new Ultimate Team overhaul including fitness cards axed, revamped co-op mode and rivals changes
- Coronavirus latest: Pakistan, India report record daily spike in new cases, deaths
- Prannoy stuns Lin Dan; Sai Praneeth eases into World Championships pre-quarters
- ‘Mulan’ Remake Is Shrewd But Not Sharp
Barcelona legend Xavi risks reputation with Qatar move have 329 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at May 24, 2015. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.