DuckDuckGo moves past 10 million daily searches
DuckDuckGo has been on a real tear lately in terms of attracting new users. The site has announced that it has moved past ten million daily queries. DuckDuckGo’s commitment to user privacy is clearly winning over many people.
Barry Schwartz reports for Search Engine Land:
DuckDuckGo announced they hit a milestone yesterday, surpassing the 10 million daily query mark on June 22, 2015.
DuckDuckGo saw 10,218,617 queries on June 22nd alone. The company gives credit to that surge in users based on them being a privacy focused search engine. Gabriel Weinberg wrote, “we’re proud to be helping so many people take back their privacy.”
As a promotion, DuckDuckGo said they will give out 10,000 t-shirts to those who can help promote their search engine to three additional searchers.
The DuckDuckGo blog has more details:
DuckDuckGo just crossed ten million searches a day for the first time ever! We’re proud to be helping so many people take back their privacy. In celebration, we’re giving away ten thousand DuckDuckGo t-shirts to enthusiasts who help their friends and family take back their privacy as well.
PEW recently reported results validating that people care deeply about online privacy. For example, “40% [of Americans] think that their search engine provider shouldn’t retain information about their activity.” We’ve grown 600% since NSA surveillance news broke two years ago. And yet only a few percent of people have even heard of DuckDuckGo and other private alternatives. Getting the word out is our biggest challenge and we could really use your help. Every conversation helps.
Although there are many ways you’re tracked online, there are a few solutions that provide significant protection. First, switch your search engine, email and other major services where your personal information is heavily tracked to good private alternatives . Second, add EFF’s HTTPS Everywhere plugin to your browser, which will encrypt web site connections where possible. Third, add EFF’s Privacy Badger plugin to your browser, which blocks third-party trackers. These three simple changes will pretty seamlessly and significantly reduce your digital footprint.
Linux redditors reacted to the news about DuckDuckGo’s success:
Iturnedintoanewt: “Using their searches for a while. Not always right on the spot, but they have vastly improved. If some search is way off, I have google as a second option just a click away.”
Dont_Reddit_Me: “Friendly reminder that the owner of DuckDuckGo previously owned a company in which, in order to register, you had to enter 3 friends’ email addresses, which he later sold to ad-based companies. And with that money, he funded DuckDuckGo. So, don’t trust them more than Google or Yahoo.”
Epistaxis: “I’ll remember that when DuckDuckGo asks for my e-mail address and those of my friends.”
LordAlbertson: “Been supporting them for awhile. I have a duck duck go tshirt that went on sale for a pretty reasonable price awhile ago. It’s nice to see competition to google that isn’t bing.”
Ewood87: “I switched over to DDG a few months ago as my first stop for searches. Found that it pulls up the right thing 90% of the time. For the other 10% I just use !g”
- Mustang swagger pushes pony cars past 10 million
- Former Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe Says His Pension Is Too Small, Wants $10 Million
- Michael Cohen Reached $10 Million Nuclear Reactor Deal With Big Trump Donor Right Before Raids: Report
- Trump Impeachment Campaign Spending $10 Million to Get Anti-Trumpers to Vote Democrat in 2018 Midterms
- Ocean Power Technologies Enters into $10 million Common Stock Purchase Agreement with Aspire Capital Fund
- CyberArk Stock Rises As Earnings Blow Past Estimates, Revenue Beats
- Snapchat lost 3 million daily users in the past three months
- Steyer sinking $10 million into new voting drive effort
- Snapchat Pays Hefty Toll for Clunky Redesign, Loses 3 Million Daily Users
- Bonita's Irma cleanup cost $10 million and rising