HE was the suave English gentleman whose glittering film career spanned eight decades.But Sir Roger Moore will be remembered for more than his iconic turn as James Bond, including his tireless humanitarian work and colourful personal life.The 89-year-old acting legend died today after a “short but brave” battle with cancer, his children have announced.A emotional statement from his family said: “It is with a heavy heart that we must announce our loving father, Sir Roger Moore, has passed away today in Switzerland after a short but brave battle with cancer.“The love with which he has surrounded in his final days was so great it cannot be quantified in words alone.”The star’s family – including his children Deborah, Geoffrey and Cristian – added that his funeral will take place in Monaco, where he lived with fourth wife Kristina Tholstrup.The statement continued: “Our thoughts must now turn to supporting Kristina at this difficult time, and in accordance with our father’s wishes there will be a private funeral in Monaco.”Moore was born in Stockwell, London in 1927, and he first shot into the limelight as a model, promoting knitwear brands and toothpaste.His screen career began in 1954 after he signed a seven-year contract with… Read full this story
- Roger Moore’s daughter says Bond star ‘visits her from beyond the grave’
- James Bond movies in order by release date
- Next James Bond: Tom Hardy falls into obscurity as Regé-Jean Page leads 007 race
- James Bond: Shirley Bassey shares her favourite scene from Sean Connery's Goldfinger
- James Bond quiz: Test your knowledge about the 007 movie franchise
- Next James Bond ‘will be young with key Daniel Craig similarity’ – Tom Hardy too old now?
- $16 million River Oaks mansion that used to host celebrities has been sold
- Joan Collins, 88, never had plastic surgery as she swipes at Jane Seymour's natural remark
- Avatar 2 trailer release date: Exciting news for sequel teaser 'It will blow you away'
- Kate Middleton to Princess Diana—ten times the royals dazzled at the movies
Sir Roger Moore’s most iconic moments, from suave James Bond legend to tireless charity campaigner have 330 words, post on www.thesun.ie at May 23, 2017. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.