By Roger Harrabin Published 16 May 2018 comments Comments Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Heavy criticism has been levelled at UK government energy policies by two separate parliamentary committees. The Environmental Audit Committee says ill-thought out policies caused a dive in clean energy investment, which fell 10% in 2016, and 56% last year. And the Public Accounts Committee says a government scheme to encourage clean heat is a failure that often produces dirty heat. The government says it is determined to meet its climate change targets. Investment in clean energy in the UK has slumped following a fusillade of changes to government policy. These include: Withdrawing support for new onshore wind farms in mainland UK Withdrawing subsidies from solar Taxing renewables Selling the Green Investment Bank; Dumping the Zero Carbon Homes policy; Cancelling the £1bn Carbon Capture & Storage competition. Annual clean energy investment in the UK is now the lowest it has been since 2008 and the rate of installation for new renewables capacity is slowing. The fall has been offset somewhat by the plummeting cost of renewables, which is allowing the UK to get more power per pound spent. And the proportion of UK electricity… Read full this story
- Clean Energy Emerges As High Priority For Fredericksburg Leaders
- Goldamn Sachs to invest $750 billion in clean energy, 'sustainable' industries
- Goldman Sachs to invest $750 billion in clean energy, 'sustainable' industries
- California faces a crossroads on the path to 100% clean energy
- TVS Motor Company to Invest Rs 6 Crore in Clean Energy in FY2020
- Will devastating bushfires and division among Liberals force Scott Morrison to rethink climate policy?
- David Cameron meets Tory MPs opposed to windfarm plans
- Wind energy companies fear government's commitment is cooling
- Anti-wind power MPs may have Cameron's backing
- David Cameron defends windfarm plans to Tory MPs
MPs criticise government clean energy policies have 288 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at May 16, 2018. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.