A network of Democratic donors and operatives are organizing an ambitious effort to elect African-American candidates for governor and Congress in 2018 — politicians who have often been overlooked by the party’s predominantly white leadership in past years. They see the 2018 elections as a crucial opportunity to elect a wave of black candidates, especially to governorships, where only two African-Americans have been elected in U.S. history but a half-dozen prominent hopefuls are running this year. Many organizers also see running strong black candidates as a key way to inspire higher African-American voter turnout that will boost the whole Democratic Party in November.Story Continued Below But their efforts are also motivated by weariness, some said, of watching local and national Democratic groups — and the largely white donors who fund political campaigns — pass over promising African-American politicians before, even during the Obama era, when many expected the election of the nation’s first black president to usher in more black officials in his wake. “There have been historical challenges with candidates of color receiving support from institutions, both the party and progressive groups. The history’s there,” said Quentin James, co-founder of Collective PAC, an incubator and PAC for African-American candidates…. Read full this story
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2018: the best deal predictions in the US
- Black Friday iPhone 8 deals 2018: the best prices this year
- What does Avengers: Endgame mean for the Black Widow movie?
- How to optimise your Black Friday business strategy
- Black Friday is not just about physical sales — Apple’s App Store may have set a single-day US record
- Black Friday is not just about physical sales — Apple's App Store may have set a single-day US record (AAPL)
- The 4 Most Popular Ride-Sharing Services Of 2018
- Black Friday TV deals 2018: The best prices from Samsung, Sony, Vizio, and more
- How to get a one-year Hulu subscription for only $12 on Black Friday
- Trump Claims Midterm Victory, Warns Dems Planning Investigations
Snubbed in past, black Dems seek big gains in 2018 have 314 words, post on www.politico.com at May 21, 2018. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.