BMW ActiveE electric car at closed NJ gas station after Hurricane Sandy [photo: Tom Moloughney]Efforts have begun to help North and South Carolina and Virginia residents who drive electric cars to evacuate Hurricane Florence. Mass evacuations, as well as hurricanes, pose a special challenge for electric cars. Older models still have relatively short ranges, and may require multiple recharges to get far enough away from a hurricane the size of Florence. READ THIS: Texas fossil-fuel industry made state more vulnerable to hurricane With more than a million people under evacuation orders, chargers on roads leading away from the storm could be overcrowded. Increasing winds and rain then run the risk of rendering many of those chargers inoperable. Baltimore, Maryland electric car activist Lanny Hartmann has dedicated a portion of his electric-car website, PlugInSites.org to helping evacuees who drive electric cars until the storm passes. The site includes storm advisories, news reports, reports of places evacuees can stay, as well as special designed to help electric-car driving evacuees. For example, on Wednesday, the site reported that Tesla is extending the range of short-range Model Ses and Model Xes in the storm’s path to help owners evacuate with as little need to… Read full this story
- Britain's electric car charging point network will have to expand by up to TWENTY times current levels to cope with increased demand after sales ban on petrol and diesel vehicles in 2030, experts warn
- In Germany, electric cars struggle to get into gear
- It's Time You Fell in Love With a Small, Cheap, Electric Car
- Scalextric-style roads that charge electric cars on the go could soon be built in Coventry as researchers explore ways to tackle 'range anxiety'
- Driving the Mustang Mach-E, Ford’s first real electric car
- 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E first drive review: Electric muscle
- How Ford Created the Mach-E, Its Fully Electric Mustang SUV
- Tesla India Debut Next Year Confirms Elon Musk: Which Will Be The First Model?
- Tesla Model 3 India Launch Timeline Revealed: Bookings & Deliveries Details
- Tesla Model 3's driver-facing camera 'does more than just monitor passengers'
Web site helps electric car drivers evacuate Florence, Tesla extends range have 339 words, post on www.greencarreports.com at September 14, 2018. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.