Netflix’s latest limited series stars Emma Stone and Jonah Hill as Annie Landsberg and Owen Milgrim, respectively. “Maniac” is directed by Cary Fukunaga. (Photo from IMDb) Psychedelic visuals and a thrilling premise fall flat in Netflix’s recent small-screen enterprise, “Maniac,” a 10-episode limited series directed by Cary Fukunaga and starring Emma Stone and Jonah Hill. Released on the site on Sept. 21, it follows Owen Milgrim (Hill) and Annie Landsberg (Stone), two troubled souls mired in familial and financial crises who meet when they both volunteer for a highly lucrative and dangerous drug trial. Owen is a diagnosed schizophrenic, outcast by his family but welcomed back when they need him to lie in court to help his blatantly-guilty brother. Meanwhile, Annie is a drug-addict who seeks consolation from an irreconcilable fight she had with her younger sister years ago. The pharmaceutical trial they enter involves three pills taken consecutively that lowers the subjects’ mental defenses so they can confront their inner demons. Once the pills are swallowed, volunteers are transported into simulations that resemble whatever problems are stirring their subconscious. If all goes according to plan — which almost never happens — the drug promises to spot and battle all… Read full this story
- The Irishman movie review: Martin Scorsese confronts mortality in Netflix’s most ambitious film yet
- 'Junglee' Film Review: Poor tale lavishly mounted
- 'Avengers: Endgame' MOVIE REVIEW: An emotional and logically fitting finale to the epic Marvel saga!
- Dishonored review
- No Man's Sky review
- Avatar reviewed in 3D, on IMAX: you know the story; go anyway
- Junglee movie review: Vidyut Jammwal film is richly mounted but a poorly narrated tale
- Pacific Rim: Uprising review – John Boyega's charm buoys goofy sequel
- To the Moon Review
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters review – sound, fury and stupidity
REVIEW: ‘Maniac’ is visually lush despite an unenticing plot have 288 words, post on dailytrojan.com at October 18, 2018. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.