(CNN)British Prime Minister Theresa May will begin frantic meetings with European Union leaders Tuesday as she attempts to find a way to renegotiate her Brexit deal in the face of overwhelming opposition among UK lawmakers. Parliament was due to hold a meaningful vote on the bill — agreed with the EU last month — on Tuesday, one that May appeared almost certain to lose. Instead, the Prime Minister abruptly withdrew the bill and said she would seek extra “reassurances” from Europe over issues such as the Northern Ireland backstop. May will now fly to the Hague and Berlin Tuesday, to meet with Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, but it remains unclear what, if any, compromises May can win that would satisfy critics within her own Conservative Party and their allies the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP). Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte (R) welcomes Theresa May for a work breakfast in The Hague, on December 11, 2018 The UK Parliament is to hold an emergency debate on the matter Tuesday morning, following calls by opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn in the wake of the vote’s sudden cancellation Monday. May admitted Monday that “there remains widespread and… Read full this story
- EU leaders give Brexit deal cautious approval but foresee obstacles
- Highlights: EU leaders meet at summit dominated by Brexit
- Brexit reaction: Tánaiste calls EU-UK deal a 'big step forward', but DUP 'unable to support' it
- Brexit reaction: Taoiseach refuses to be drawn on deal as Nicola Sturgeon confirms SNP will vote against it
- Brexit deal in the balance as EU leaders gather
- Brexit latest: How this EU summit could be VITAL for Brexit
- EU Leaders Have Not Expressed A View On Delaying Brexit. That Doesn't Mean They Wouldn't.
- Brexit: After EU and UK reach deal, what's next?
- Brexit scramble looms over EU summit, with Merkel saying deal still possible
- EU leaders 'sorry' to see Britain go as Johnson secures Brexit deal
Brexit: Desperate May to meet with Merkel, but EU leaders warn no renegotiation of deal have 317 words, post on edition.cnn.com at December 10, 2018. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.