AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — As the Middle East ushers in 2019, the decade’s ruinous conflicts in Syria, Yemen, Libya and Iraq seem to be winding down after exacting a painful price — many thousands killed, millions uprooted from their homes and entire cities reduced to rubble. Yet the potential for unrest remains high, including in countries that escaped civil war after the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings, such as Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt. Millions of young people in the region remain locked out of economic and political participation as authoritarian governments fail to tackle soaring youth unemployment and other deep-seated problems. “I think 2019 is a very challenging year,” said analyst Amer Sabaileh in Jordan, where weekly rallies against economic policies toppled a prime minister this year and now take aim at his successor. Meanwhile, President Donald Trump’s policy of siding with one Middle East powerhouse, Saudi Arabia, against its main rival, Iran, has further heightened regional tensions. For now, Tehran seems determined to wait out Trump’s presidency, sticking to its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers despite the U.S. withdrawal and restoration of heavy sanctions. In a region where violent conflict has killed hundreds of thousands of people, the brutal… Read full this story
- Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson’s budget for 2019 designed to weather economic troubles without cutting services
- Economic trouble? Why Europe is bigger issue than U.S.
- The Wrong Trade War
- Dalton Risner has the angels, and the wind, at his back as NFL draft looms
- Rampell: Lesson learned? Trade wars tough on U.S. businesses
- Hezbollah Builds On Syrian War Gains To Increase Clout in Lebanese Government
- Yemen's warring parties meet on ship to discuss stalled troop withdrawal
- Valener and Énergir, L.P. Report Their Fiscal 2019 First Quarter Results
- Greeley family wonders who’s next as they watch Alzheimer’s disease wind through generations
- Star Wars 9 trailer LEAK: Is THIS how Emperor Palpatine will enter The Rise of Skywalker?
In 2019, Mideast economic troubles loom as wars wind down have 312 words, post on apnews.com at December 18, 2018. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.