A pilot to trial CCTV in taxis and private hire vehicles in South Lanarkshire will go ahead despite calls to delay it. The council’s licensing committee agreed by 11 votes to nine on Tuesday, March 19, to start the trial which will see CCTV installed in taxis in Hamilton and both taxis and private hire vehicles in East Kilbride. Concerns were raised by councillors about the lack of audio recording in the proposals, which are for video-only CCTV. Cllr Martin Lennon (Rutherglen Central and North) tabled an amendment to delay the pilot until clarification was sought about the legality of including audio recording from the information commissioner. Gerry Mays, council solicitor, said: “The recommendation is for imagery only, sound recording will be excluded. “This comes from a request by Police Scotland. The pilot will be used to gather information into its effectiveness.” Sergeant Graham Rankin added: “The obvious benefits police will get is in the form of physical evidence. “Since Christmas, there have been a total of 38 crimes in South Lanarkshire committed against taxi drivers.” Of those crimes, 24 took place in the pilot areas. Sergeant Rankin said that these usually start off as taxi fraud where a patron… Read full this story
- Newlyweds kiss in Italy through protective masks at their wedding as country's death toll surges by 627 in a single day to 4,032 and hotspot region of Lombardy hires soldiers to enforce the lockdown
- Is China’s gaokao the world’s toughest school exam?
- World Cup 2014: inside Rio's Bond-villain mission control
- Foundation of a new Uttar Pradesh has been laid in 3 years: Yogi Adityanath
- Gig economy: ‘If you don’t work, you can’t eat’ – despair of the zero-hours workforce
- Tor, Psiphon, Signal and Co.: How to move unrecognized on the internet
- X-Class Shows It Is The Mercedes Of Pickups In 6 Videos
- Coronavirus latest: Top official: 'No shortages' in Germany
- Coronavirus: Top official: 'No shortages' in Germany
- Coronavirus: 'No shortages' in Germany, says top official
CCTV cameras to be installed in taxis and private hire vehicles in South Lanarkshire have 316 words, post on www.dailyrecord.co.uk at March 29, 2019. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.