WASHINGTON — President Trump on Wednesday distanced the United States from the conflict between Turkey and the Kurds in Syria, saying that the conflict “has nothing to do with us.” Mr. Trump, speaking to reporters alongside the Italian president, said the American soldiers he had ordered to pull back, and who had been fighting with Kurdish forces in northern Syria near the Turkish border, were not in harm’s way. He added that “they shouldn’t be as two countries fight over land.” “That has nothing to do with us,” Mr. Trump said. “And the Kurds are much safer right now,” Mr. Trump added. Mr. Trump again defended his decision to withdraw American troops from the area. He said, “The Kurds know how to fight, and, as I said, they’re not angels.” Even members of Mr. Trump’s own party have criticized the president’s actions to abandon the Kurds, who now are fighting Turkish forces in a chaotic battlefield that also has put at risk American troops pulling back from the Syrian border with Turkey. This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Donald Trump says he's a 'wartime president' as he signs special defense powers to ramp up medical equipment production 'in case of worst-case scenario' to tackle 'unseen enemy'
- Donald Trump says CRUISE SHIPS could be used as floating hospitals off New York and other cities - despite Americans being warned to stay off them for their own safety
- Trump says he's told his 13-year-old son the coronavirus situation is 'bad'
- Trump says US could return to normal by Easter. Health officials and state leaders are gearing up for a longer fight
- Trump says FDA will fast track anti-viral treatments for patients with coronavirus
- Trump says he intends to reopen country in weeks, not months
- I want it over by EASTER! Trump says his goal is for U.S. to return to normal by April 12th with 'packed churches' - and justifies defying doctors' orders by saying 'we lose thousands of people a year to flu and we don't turn country off'
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump says he always knew virus was pandemic
- Analysis: Trump says the pandemic crisis was 'unforeseen' -- but lots of people foresaw it
- Less Than 40 Percent of Americans Trust What Donald Trump Says About Coronavirus, New Poll Shows
Turkey-Kurd Conflict ‘Has Nothing to Do With Us,’ Trump Says have 390 words, post on www.nytimes.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.