T he Country Music Awards are billed as Nashville's biggest night, but this year's event buried the genre's most significant breakthrough of the past 12 months, offering up just one nomination for 20-year-old musician Lil Nas X, whose "Old Town Road" spent a record 19 weeks atop the singles charts. That run helped Lil Nas X notch a different honor, debuting on the Forbes list of top-earning country acts this year with an estimated pretax income of $14 million. The Atlanta native claims the No. 18 spot thanks to the fiendishly catchy country-rap track he released through indie music service Amuse in December 2018. The song clocked 1.8 billion spins by summer despite being booted from the Billboard country charts. The snub—and a bevy of remixes—helped "Old Town Road" broaden the genre's audience more than any track in recent memory. "It was on viral charts in countries where no country song has ever positioned itself," says Amuse cofounder Diego Farias. "Everything from Southeast Asian markets to eastern European markets. I mean, I'm talking about places that you don't necessarily associate with cowboy hats and boots." Lil Nas X isn't the only high earner to come up short at the awards ceremony: Luke… Read full this story
- Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line ... and Dolly Parton! Highest Paid Country Crooners List Features a Few Surprises
- RS Charts: The Raconteurs Take Number One on Rolling Stone Top 200 Albums Chart
- Jimmie Allen Celebrates 'Make Me Want To' Topping Country Airplay Chart: 'Never Give Up on Your Dreams'
- Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy' named top global song of 2019
- Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy' Named IFPI's Biggest Global Single of 2019
- Packers' Bryan Bulaga expecting at least $12M per season on contract in 2020 free agency, per report
- CMT Music Awards 2019: How to watch, who’s performing and everything else you need to know
- Eilish's 'Bad Guy' named top global song of 2019
- Lil Baby Earns First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With ‘My Turn’
- The Record of Human Rights Violations in the United States in 2019
Highest-Paid Country Acts 2019: Lil Nas X Debuts; Luke Bryan Tops List have 348 words, post on www.forbes.com at November 13, 2019. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.