Twenty years since Glebe Street Swimming Pool in Inverness closed down, the land it stood on next to the River Ness is still derelict and boarded off.The pool closed after the modern Aquadome sports complex was built at Bught Park.Numerous plans have been mooted for the site over the last two decades.This week, the latest of these – a proposed 175-bedroom hotel development – will be considered by Highland councillors.Although a physical void has been left by the demolition of the 1930s building, the baths are still fondly remembered by many Highlanders.Generations of Invernessians learned to swim there, and it was a focal point in the weekly routines and social lives of many people.Local musician Liza Mulholland vividly recalls her childhood visits.”One of my strongest memories is of walking in the imposing entrance because as soon as you went in suddenly you were hit with the noise,” she said.”It a very echoey place so all the shrieks and shouts and laughter and typical noises of a swimming pool just hit you as soon walked in the door, along with the strong chlorine smell. There was quite a heavy turnstile, like at a football ground, that made a nice click noise.”‘Hoaching… Read full this story
- Luxury flats with swimming pools on every BALCONY costing up to £2m are unveiled in Vietnam - one of the fastest-growing property markets
- Quarantined by the swimming pool: Tourists enjoy the sun and free booze while trapped in Tenerife coronavirus hotel for two-week lockdown as officials hunt guests who left before doors were locked
- 'We needed to follow our own paths': Fern Britton speaks out on split from Phil Vickery after 20 years of marriage as star insists she's feeling 'confident, strong and indestructible'
- Swimming pool supply giant acquires Houston's Master Tile
- ‘Strong sperm’ can impregnate women in swimming pools, Indonesian child protection boss bizarrely claims
- Swimming pool bans and $50k fines: What NSW water restrictions could mean for you
- Michael Barrymore says he is suffering 'pain and agony' through '20 years of hell' after Stuart Lubbock pool death but insists his 'door is always open' to victim's family as he demands new force takes over investigation
- Moment furious Tommy Robinson is arrested for assault after ‘row at Center Parcs swimming pool’
- On the run for over 20 years, how a special squad tracked down Pujari
- Grand Canyon uranium mining to be banned for 20 years
Inverness swimming pool land still derelict 20 years on have 397 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at December 3, 2019. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.