Scotland named an almost identical squad for their ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Qualifier next month as they did for their T20I tri-series against Ireland and Netherlands. Only Josh Davey will miss out of the tri-series, who’s playing County cricket for Somerset currently, and will join the Scottish squad directly in the UAE for the Qualifier that begins on October 11.
Although the core of the squad has been retained, off-break bowler Ollie Hairs, who last played international cricket in 2010, and is yet to make his T20I debut has been picked. Tom Sole too, is in line for a T20I debut.
“The 15-man squad that has been selected for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Qualifier is a strong, robust and versatile group of players that will no doubt make an impact at the tournament,” said Shane Burger, Scotland’s head coach on Thursday (September 12). “The process to select this squad has been a long yet thoughtful one and we believe that this group of players can and will make Scotland proud. I feel the players that have missed out could also make an impact if called upon and it is my belief that a strong squad, not just the XI on the park, win you games as well as tournaments.
“This continues to be an exciting time in Scottish cricket as we embark on a journey of a lot of competitive cricket over the next few months,” he added.
Scotland will train for a week in Durban post the tri-series and will then head over to the UAE.
Squad: Kyle Coetzer (c), Richie Berrington, Matthew Cross, Alasdair Evans, Oliver Hairs, Michael Leask, Calum MacLeod, George Munsey, Adrian Neill, Safyaan Sharif, Tom Sole, Hamza Tahir, Craig Wallace, Mark Watt, Josh Davey*
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Dempsey, Bradley miss WC qualifiers
- Bayern defender Rafinha rejects Brazil call-up for WC qualifiers
- Martinez replaces Albiol for Spain’s WC qualifiers
- Del Bosque recalls Mata for Spain WC qualifiers
- Reus out of Germany’s WC qualifiers; Westermann in
- Allrounder Todd Astle named in NZ squad for Pakistan T20s
- Shaun Tait recalled to Australia squad for India T20s
- Nicholls named in New Zealand squad for World T20
- Andrea Pirlo called up to Italy squad for upcoming European Championship qualifiers
- Spain squad trying to stay upbeat at World Cup