(Corrects to clarify 1.9 million tonnes coal consumption in paragraph 3 is thermal coal only, not including metallurgical coal) * H2 coal imports may fall as much as a quarter -analysts * China already imposed strict curbs on coal imports * No sign of China to single out Australian coal imports -analysts By Muyu Xu and Melanie Burton BEIJING/MELBOURNE, May 20 (Reuters) – China is expected to tighten coal import rules in the second half of 2020 to shore up its struggling domestic industry, after record arrivals in the first four months, just as demand tanked because of the coronavirus outbreak. Imports could drop as much as a quarter in the second half from the corresponding 2019 period, analysts estimate, which is likely to boost pressure on major coal exporters, such as Australia, Indonesia and Russia, which are already battling weak demand because of the virus. China’s total thermal coal consumption may reach 1.9 billion tonnes from July through December, said Yu Zhai, a senior consultant at Wood Mackenzie. Imports would account for about 80 million tonnes of that, or a quarter less than the 107 million in the corresponding 2019 period, Yu expects. James Stevenson, a senior director at… Read full this story
- U.S.-China trade talks center on rivalry over tech dominance
- Chinese buyers cutting U.S. soybean purchases amid Trump tariff threat as Beijing backs domestic output
- China could target U.S. firms and debt if Trump plays trade hardball
- The Energy 202: Trump talks a lot about coal. But his administration just named 35 'critical minerals'
- Home/ Business/ China US trade tensions China to import more gas from US
- China president Xi Jinping free trader to world, champion of Karl Marx at home
- US-China trade talks center on rivalry over technology
- China trade talks: U.S. delegation to focus on tech policies
- North Korea’s Kim wants to talk to Trump about mutual nuclear issues, says Chinese media
- China Seen Holding off Expansion in Disputed Sea due to Closer Philippine Ties
CORRECTED-China to slash H2 coal imports to back domestic miners, analysts say have 314 words, post on www.reuters.com at May 20, 2020. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.