The ruling Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP or People’s Party) is poised for a landslide win in the August 5 parliamentary elections, going by results declared until Thursday evening.As per the count at 8.30 p.m., the SLPP secured over 60% of the votes. Its chances for a two-thirds majority remains unclear, but Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa has expressed confidence that they would touch the figure in Parliament, if not in the polls.Prime Minister Narendra Modi was quick to call Mr. Rajapaksa, even as his party’s huge mandate became evident. “Thank you PM @narendramodi for your congratulatory phone call. With the strong support of the people of #SriLanka, I look forward to working with you closely to further enhance the long-standing cooperation between our two countries. ,” Mr. Rajapaksa said in a tweet.
- Sri Lanka’s new president ends session of Parliament
- Sri Lanka presidential hopeful says won’t honor deal with UN
- Sri Lanka rejects Swiss request to fly staffer for treatment
- SNP manifesto policies 2019: Summary of Scottish party plan for general election
- Sajith Premadasa named Opposition leader in Sri Lanka
- Army units of India, Sri Lanka begin joint exercise
- Sri Lanka's Supreme Court suspends dissolution of Parliament
- General election: Corbyn to position Labour as true 'party of the people'
- General election 2019: What difference could tactical voting make?
- General election 2019: Leaders clash over Brexit in TV debate
Sri Lanka General Elections 2020 | Rajapaksas’ party poised for big win have 220 words, post on www.thehindu.com at August 6, 2020. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.