During the Korean War, the U.S. military under United Nations command engaged in a 42-day battle, Operation Showdown, against the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) to capture a forested ridge called Triangle Hill — Shangganling in Chinese. The U.S. terminated the operation because of high casualties, and since then the Chinese have propagandized it as a great victory over the United States. Largely forgotten by the West, it is framed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) as the iconic symbol of defeating its arch enemy through great sacrifice, focus and determination. At the party’s Fifth Plenum last month, Chinese leader Xi Jinping revealed a plan for a “new Battle of Triangle Hill.” This battle is about technology, not terrain. China possesses the same determination and focus as it did 70 years ago, to realize its aim of seizing the commanding heights of science and technology from the United States. For the first time in the CCP’s history, this objective is included in the 14th Five-Year Plan. The plan requires that China focus on technological innovation as a core component in all of the country’s modernization. It also compels China to make technological self-sufficiency a strategic pillar of national development. Notably, this receives… Read full this story
- Call of Duty: Warzone to challenge battle royale rivals
- Apple's China stores reopen after a month
- 'We will be torn apart': the battle to save Silicon Valley's oldest trailer park
- China to see strong economic rebound after coronavirus, Chinese envoy to Canada says
- The Hill's Morning Report — The wall problem confronting Dems and the latest on Dorian
- How the world is responding to coronavirus: Towns on lockdown, mass-gatherings banned and increased border checks to battle pandemic... but Boris Johnson declines to stop UK sporting events and says closing schools could make the crisis WORSE
- Xinhua Headlines: Seven things China has done right to battle coronavirus
- Four die after coronavirus quarantine hotel collapses in China - as officials now say 38 survived disaster following earlier reports that 48 were saved
- China’s high-tech battle against COVID-19
- Has Russia joined China in targeting Trump for this election?
The new Battle of Triangle Hill: China's bid for technological supremacy have 344 words, post on thehill.com at November 11, 2020. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.