RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Defending champion Brazil named 38-year-old defender Dani Alves to its Olympic soccer team on Thursday. Coach André Jardine also selected 31-year-old goalkeeper Santos of Athletico Paranaense and 28-year-old defender Diego Carlos of Sevilla. The 16 men's teams at the Tokyo Olympics can select three over-age players in their rosters. The lineup includes Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany and Spain. Men's soccer kicks off ahead of the July 23 opening ceremony in Tokyo. Alves was expected to be in Brazil's squad for Copa America, but the former Barcelona star picked up a knee injury before the tournament began. He has also played as a midfielder for his club Sao Paulo. Neymar has previously said he wants to play at the Tokyo Olympics, but the list confirms the Paris Saint-Germain forward won't be competing in Japan. The Brazil men's soccer team won gold at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016. ___ Squad: Goalkeepers: Santos (Athletico Paranaense), Brenno (Grêmio) Defenders: Dani Alves (Sao Paulo), Gabriel Menino (Palmeiras), Guilherme Arana (Atlético Mineiro), Gabriel Magalhães (Arsenal), Nino (Fluminense), Diego Carlos (Sevilla) Midfielders: Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa), Bruno Guimarães (Lyon), Gerson (Flamengo), Claudinho (Red Bull Bragantino), Matheus Henrique (Grêmio) Forwards: Matheus… Read full this story
- Brazil calls striker Richarlison into Olympic soccer team
- Carli Lloyd Among 18 Named to U.S. Olympic Soccer Team
- Ashlyn Harris 'Disappointed' About Not Making U.S. Olympic Soccer Team, Ali Krieger Not on Roster
- France names Thauvin, Gignac to Olympic squad
- PSG star Neymar left out of Brazil’s Tokyo Olympic squad but ex-Barcelona pal Dani Alves is included
- South America Dominates Olympic Soccer, But Tokyo 2020 Could Be Japan’s Turn
- Carli Lloyd makes U.S. soccer team for her 4th Olympics
- Clash with European season creates Olympic soccer headache
- Natalie Portman Is Among Group Bringing Women's Soccer Team to Los Angeles: It's 'Culture-Shifting'
- Born to ride: Olympic equestrian team includes Jessica Springsteen, daughter of Bruce - OlympicTalk | NBC Sports
Brazil names veteran Dani Alves to Olympic soccer team have 325 words, post on www.thestar.com at June 17, 2021. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.