WASHINGTON (AP) — A police officer who was injured in the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection and has pushed for an independent commission to investigate the attack will meet with House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy on Friday, according to two people familiar with the meeting. Officer Michael Fanone has said for weeks that he wanted to meet with McCarthy, who has opposed a commission and remained loyal to former President Donald Trump. It was a violent mob of Trump’s supporters that attacked the Capitol and interrupted the certification of President Joe Biden’s victory after the former president told them to "fight like hell" to overturn his defeat. The meeting comes after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Thursday that she is creating a special committee to investigate the attack. She said a partisan-led probe was the only option left after Senate Republicans blocked legislation to form a bipartisan commission. Fanone is expected to be joined by Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn, who was also among the officers who responded to the rioting, and Gladys Sicknick, the mother of Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, according to one of the people and a third person familiar with the meeting. Brian Sicknick collapsed and died… Read full this story
- Texas GOP leader blames racist text message referring to a fellow black party member as a 'typical n**' on 'fast typing', as local leaders call for her resignation
- GOP leaders eye other tactics to defund Planned Parenthood
- Donald Trump Bullies House GOP, Admits Crying Tots Aren’t Good “Look” At Meeting On Baby-Snatching Border Policy
- GOP leader on 2020: We need a 'referendum on socialism'
- GOP Leaders Shop for a Budget Deal as Trump Fumes, Stonewalls Democrats
- GOP politicians, White House push back against Democrats' articles of impeachment announcement
- Sharply divided House approves Democrats’ impeachment rules
- House Democrats unveil Trump impeachment charges; White House sets sights on Senate trial
- Factbox: Key players in U.S. Senate trial if House impeaches Trump
- Democratic governor, GOP lawmakers keep clashing over taxes
House GOP leader to meet with Capitol officer hurt on Jan. 6 have 326 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at June 24, 2021. This is cached page on Trend . If you want remove this page, please contact us.